The Virtual Y is a website full of videos from our Y and partner Y's from across the country you can watch anytime, anywhere! Try a new class or learn a new skill today! Click here for a Virtual Y trailer!
We are a family organization that values personal responsibility, honesty, caring, mutual respect, and non-violence. Hornell & Dansville YMCA members must agree to abide by the rules and regulations of our Y and to adhere to the YMCA Code of Conduct. Management reserves the right to revoke, suspend or refuse membership at its sole discretion.
Code of Conduct for Hornell & Dansville YMCA Members
The Hornell & Dansville YMCA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all members and guests. To promote safety and comfort for all, we ask individuals to act appropriately at all times when they are in our facilities and/or participating in our programs. We expect persons using the YMCA to behave in a mature and responsible way and to respect the rights and dignity of others. Our Code of Conduct does not permit any action that can hurt or frighten another person or that falls below a generally accepted standard of conduct. Members and Guests are encouraged to politely inform any person whose behavior threatens their safety or comfort. YMCA staff members are always available to assist should the matter not be resolved promptly. All reported incidents will be reviewed by YMCA Management. When a violation of the Code of Conduct has occurred, the decision to suspend or terminate YMCA membership privileges will be made by YMCA Management. Member privileges may be suspended or terminated by the Hornell YMCA or other disciplinary action may be taken which is deemed appropriate by the Hornell YMCA under any of the following conditions:
- Inappropriate attire including offensive wording on shirts or accessories.
- Angry or vulgar language including swearing, name-calling, or shouting.
- Physical contact with another person in an angry or threatening way.
- Any demonstration of sexual contact or activity.
- Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language, or any other menacing behavior.
- Theft or behavior which results in the destruction of property.
- Conduct of an inappropriate, threatening, or offensive nature.
- Loitering inside or outside the YMCA.
- Violation of safety and security procedures.
- Smoking or the use of tobacco while on YMCA property.
- Bizarre or offensive comments regarding violent events and/or behavior.
- The spreading of malicious rumors.
- Using or possessing illegal chemicals or alcohol in or on YMCA property or at YMCA-sponsored programs.
- Carrying or concealing any weapons or devices/objects which may be used as weapons.
- Purposely creating conflict with staff, volunteer, participant, or member.
- Staff/members will not give gifts (even small gifts), keep secrets, or show favoritism to individuals.
- Submitting false information on the Membership Application.
- Unauthorized use of a member’s membership card or account.
- Exhibits unsatisfactory behavior, deportment or appearance or acts in any other manner (including but not limited to sexual harassment) determined not to be in the best interest of the Hornell & Dansville YMCA and its members.
- Fail to pay dues, fees, charges, or any other amount owed to the Hornell YMCA in a proper and timely manner.
- Treats the personnel or employees at the Hornell & Dansville YMCA in an unreasonable or abusive manner (including but not limited to sexual harassment).
- Engages in conduct that is improper or likely to endanger the welfare, safety, harmony, or reputation of the Hornell & Dansville YMCA, and its members, or employees.
- Discrimination against or harassment of staff, volunteer, participant, or another member because of race, color, age, creed, sex, sexual preference, national origin, or handicap.
- Members are not permitted to contact YMCA staff for non-related YMCA communication via personal contacts, including, but not limited to email, instant messaging, text messaging, cellular/regular phone, social networking pages, or other communication vehicles.
- Convicted and/or registered sex offenders are excluded from membership and program participation at the Hornell & Dansville YMCA, and offenders shall not enter onto YMCA property or loiter in the vicinity of YMCA programs and activities.
- Any member of the Hornell & Dansville YMCA whose membership privileges have been terminated for any reason shall only be eligible for membership or admitted use of the YMCA’s facilities upon approval by the Hornell YMCA at its sole discretion. Any member of the Hornell & Dansville YMCA whose membership privileges have been terminated for submitting false information on the application shall not be eligible for readmission to membership.
- The Hornell & Dansville YMCA may, at any time, restrict, suspend, or terminate, for causes described above, the privilege of any member, designee, immediate family members, or guest to use any or all of the YMCA’s facilities. No such member shall on account of any such restriction or other suspension be entitled to the repayment of any initiation fees, dues, or other charges. During the restriction or suspension, dues, fees, and other charges shall continue to accrue and shall be paid in full prior to reinstatement as a member in good standing.
- These Member Guidelines and other rules and regulations established by the Hornell & Dansville YMCA may be amended with or without notice.
Membership Cancellation/Refund Policy:
- Membership cards must be scanned at the welcome center desk to access our facility. The replacement fee for a lost card is $2.
- Membership is non-transferable and non-refundable.
- Membership may be frozen once per calendar year and may not exceed a 3-month duration before it is automatically reactivated. Holds must be requested in full month increments. Please contact the Membership Director to place a membership on hold.
- Notification in writing thirty (30) days prior to the next billing date is required to terminate a membership. Faxes and emails to the Membership Director are acceptable forms of termination as well as filling out the Cancellation Request Form at the YMCA Member Service Desk.
- Ten (10) days' notice is required to change a membership. This includes upgrades or downgrades of a membership type and billing charge.
- All new memberships are subject to a Facility Improvement Fee (Joiner Fee). Those who allow their memberships to lapse for more than sixty (60) days are classified as new members and are therefore subject to pay the Facility Improvement Fee upon re-enrollment.
- Should any member's debt not be honored by the member's credit card company or bank for any reason, the member is still responsible for that debt plus a service charge applied by the YMCA. This is in addition to any service fee the member's credit card company or bank may charge. The membership is subject to termination if the debt is not paid.
- Program registration fees are non-refundable. The YMCA will refund fees should the program be canceled by the YMCA. Cell Phone Policy:
- Members and program participants are not allowed to use their cell phones in the Fitness Center, Steiner Family Aquatics Center, locker rooms, or during any art, fitness, or music classes other than to play music.
- All members and participants are to change into clean and dry sneakers before using the Y Fitness Center and Gymnasium or before participating in Group Exercise class. No outside shoes may be worn in the Steiner Family Aquatics Center.
Hornell Open Gym/Swim Policy:
- Youth 7 years & under are not allowed in the gym or pool without adult supervision.
- Staff supervision is provided Monday through Friday, 3pm - 6pm for youth ages 8 to 13 years old.
- After 6pm, anyone under the age of 13 can only use the Community Room.
- Staff supervision is not provided on weekends.
Hornell Fitness Center Usage Policy:
- Children 12 and under are not permitted to use strength training equipment without prior authorization by YMCA fitness staff.
- Children ages 11 to 12 may use cardio equipment under the direct supervision of a parent/guardian.
Aquatics Center Usage Policy:
- Children ages 6 to 12 must have an adult (18+) or parent/guardian with them in the pool area unless they are participating in a Y swim lesson. Children 5 years old and under must have an adult or parent/guardian in the water with them unless they are participating in a Y swim lesson.
Hornell Locker Room Policy:
- Men’s and Women’s locker rooms with a sauna are available for gender-appropriate use. All children must use the gender-appropriate locker room even when accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- In the Men’s and Women’s locker rooms, nudity is permitted in the showers and changing areas. Nudity is NOT permitted in the saunas and restroom areas.
- The Jules V. Powell Family and Special Needs locker room is available for those who have special changing needs, such as parents with opposite gender children or individuals who prefer the accessible areas provided. This locker room is co-ed and proper attire is required at all times.
- To secure belongings, you will need to bring a lock. You may rent a lock and locker from the YMCA for a monthly fee. You cannot leave your belongings in the locker if you are not at the Y. All locks left on lockers overnight will be cut off and belongings will be placed in the Lost and Found at the Front Desk.
- Sauna users must follow the posted rules within the locker rooms. Children under 14 are not permitted to use the sauna.